Using Xero: A Beginner’s Guide to help you get the best out of your system
For Xero ‘newbies’, Alan Boal of AHB Finance Ltd – Xero partners and practitioners – has the following ‘check list’ of advice for you to make sure you get the best out of this versatile accounting system.
- Forge a strong relationship with your Xero Accountant . You’ll need a partner and on-call resource on this journey. Don’t try to go it alone. Accountants like us use Xero ourselves so we’re the best people to ask, and we’re always happy to help.
- If you’re new to Xero, quickly get the basic product knowledge: Don’t dabble. Dive in, learn Xero, use it—get hands-on—get really familiar with it in a practical sense. Every aspect of this is going to make your life easier as a business owner, so you will get the value back from the time you spend learning to use it.
- Embrace it: Fully implement Xero in your business. Go through any queries with your Xero Accountant, we’re always happy to help.
- Attend a Xero Training Seminar – they’re phenomenally helpful, and really well attended. Plus you’ll enjoy the networking opportunity to meet other business owners too!
- Start blogging, tweeting, and doing eNewsletter articles about aspects of Xero – tell your customers that you use it and why you’ve made the switch.
It can be daunting to move your business accountancy to new software, but Xero themselves and accredited partners such as ourselves make it really easy for you to make the switch, and you don’t have to worry about losing Clients or money by switching as we’ll ensure it all goes smoothly.
The questions we’re most asked by Clients thinking of moving to Xero accounting software (and our answers in brackets and italics!):
- Is it really worth the hassle? (it’s actually no hassle, but ‘yes’ overall)
- Does it honestly save me time in my business if I use Xero? (Yes)
- Will it do more than the accounting software I’ve been using? (Yes: compared to all major competitors like-for-like Xero offers the small business owner more functionality and options)
- Can I transfer my previous years’ trading accounts? (Yes, with ease)
- Is it difficult? (No, absolutely not)
- Will it result in any down time, lost invoices, or Clients being invoiced twice in a month? (Again, No, absolutely not)
- Is there training on how to use the system? (Yes, we help all our Clients, particularly those new to the system)
- Is it mobile friendly? (Yes, and you can use the app fully on your mobile or tablet too, there’s no restrictions on functionality)
So overall, our advice to Xero ‘newbies’ would be the following: jump in and do it. But, choose the right company to hold your hand along the way. At AHB Finance, we’ll be delighted to talk you through all your options and to reassure you with how much we know about Xero and all its uses too!
By Alan Boal